Thursday, August 14, 2008

Painting like Crazy!

Today I set my goal to finish enough paintings to justify a trip to Indy, (60 miles away) to deliver a batch to McFee Gallery. I needed to complete the second half of a small 10 x 10 square canvas, paint 2 bigger paintings (20 x 20) from scratch, and re-do one that I didn't like and try to make 3 quick 8 x 10 panel paintings. Also, paint all of the edges black that were naked or needed a touch-up, and varnish everything.

This is how it worked out: the small, square canvas took longer than it should have, but it's done. I varnished it and then took the photo. Turns out that is not the right order of things. The photo is horribly glared and makes the painting look like crap--it really is brighter and prettier in person. Here it is: Cold Moon



The two bigger (20 x 20 inches) paintings turned out pretty well. The first one is a knife painted background in bright oversaturated colors with 3 black tree silhouettes. But, in my busy-ness, I forgot to grab it and bring it outside to photograph with the others. Now it's dark and I will have to show you that painting tomorrow.

The second bigger painting is my favorite of the day. It's a Winter scene with Birch trees on an abstract blue and white background. It has a glow to it and it photographed exceptionally well.
I call it Winter Solstice:

I have decided after looking at this pic in the post that I really like it a lot. Is that conceited?

The next painting is one that I did several weeks ago and never really liked. So I re-worked it without re-painting the whole thing. It needed to have the colors changed and a few elements removed or adjusted. I took out the umbrella because it just didn't fit the mood of the piece.

This is the first version: the moon reflection wasn't working, the umbrella is awkward, the path edges are too prominent, I don't like the orange, and the grassy area is too dark.


So I made some changes, cooled down the color tone and here is After Dark:



Now I like it better, but there are bound to be people who like version 1 more. That's ok, I've noticed that sometimes people love the paintings that aren't my favorites and vice versa. Just goes to show that taste is highly individual.

On to the next task, the panels. I had prepped them with a background color this morning and went back in the afternoon to finish them. They were to be black birds on a wire in 3 different arrangements. The plan was to make them work as a set of 3 or as individuals. They were a disaster. Midway through the first one, I looked at it and thought it was boring. I re-painted it 2 more times before I gave up. I'll leave those for another day and idea.

Everything got edges painted black and varnished. I found a neat way to do the edges, normally a task that I dread. I use liquid black leather dye and a dauber. It goes on extremely smooth, with one coat coverage. One dip in the jar will cover 2 sides of a largish gallery wrap canvas. Dries fast, too. Probably because it's alcohol based.

Final count of paintings to deliver: 6 of the 10 x 10 squares, 2 of the 20 x 20 squares, one 16x20, and the huge diptych-48 x 30.

So I packed it in and headed back to the house. Then I called the gallery manager and made arrangements to meet him tomorrow in Indy at the gallery with my new work. I still have to wire them all-I'm considering taking them all to a frame shop in the morning and having them wire them for me. The last chore of the day is to make an inventory sheet to take with me.

Feel free to leave comments and subscribe, I love to hear from you!

3 comments:

Dan said...

Hope the trip went well. I'm sure the gallery manager loved them all.

happymom said...

winter solstice draws you in so much that I feel like I should check to see if I can see my breath!

GabrielMyCat said...

Winter Solstice is fabulous!!! Is it still for sale? Of course I love it as I love all of your work! Congrats on the gallery!